Which surf camp in the Algarve? Everything you need to know!Warm weather, waves and lifestyle. The Algarve is one of the waviest places in Europe and with over 32 surf camps, there's something for everyone. Find out here what you need to know for a surf holiday in the Algarve and find out about the different surf camp providers.
On this page you will find:
- A map with all surf camps in the Algarve
- The 7 most important infos about surfing in the region
- A form to enquire all surf camps in the Algarve at the same time
- A list of all surf camps in the Algarve
1. General informationThe Algarve is the southernmost region in Portugal and one of the most wave-rich places on our continent. Whether you come to the Algarve to learn to surf or you are on the hunt for perfect waves, the coast between Aljezur and Faro has a surf spot to suit every surfing level. The Algarve offers good surfing conditions all year round which are perfect for practising riding the wave. In addition, the choice of surf camps is huge. The overall package of weather, waves and lifestyle is just right here. Plus the friendly people, the delicious food and the fascinating nature at the end of Europe.
2. Surf campsThe Algarve offers many different surf camps with something for everyone. Whether you are a beginner, a pro, old or young, you are sure to find a surf camp which meets your expectations. In the list below, we give you an overview of camps in the Algarve. If you have any questions or other issues, feel free to write to us, we will help you!
3. The best surf spot for youYou don't only want to relax after surfing, but also have unforgettable party nights? Then Sagres, Portimão, Lagos and Albufeira are the places for you. In addition to hours of sessions on perfect beach breaks, long intoxicating party nights will rob you of sleep. However, if you are the kind of person who just wants to chill out after surfing, we can recommend Odeceixe and Aljezur.
4. The surf hotspots of the Algarve
The best beaches with the best conditions for surfers are definitely to be found on the somewhat rougher west coast. On the extensive beaches, there are rough seas and high waves. On the Atlantic side, however, you will find the first very popular beach. Located directly in the small village of Odeceixe, Praia de Odeceixe Mar has become a popular surf spot. Equally recommendable is Praia da Arrifana, which is a little further south.
Close to the westernmost point of Europe - Cabo de São Vincente - you will find the next surfer's paradise, the popular beach of Carrapateira. Early in the morning and at dusk, surfing is especially fun here. If you live nearby, you should definitely set your alarm clock and surf into the sunrise. Once you're awake, take the opportunity to head to Cabo de São Vincente. Take advantage of the early morning when there are only a few tourists. In the early noon, the coaches from the surrounding area roll in, bringing tourists from all over the region to the westernmost point of the continent. From here, only the Atlantic Ocean separates you from the new world.
5. Best season/travel time
Surfing conditions are good all year round in this region! The Atlantic has fantastic waves which attract surfers all year round. For beginners, however, it is best to arrive in summer or autumn.
The region around Lagos is particularly popular for this, as the spectacular waves can be ridden there all year round. Those who prefer soft sandy beaches are most likely to find them between the Spanish coast and Faro. The diversity of the region attracts adventure lovers and sun-seekers alike. Whether you are looking for relaxation or action - everyone will be equally happy here.
With 300 days of sunshine a year, that's no wonder. Due to the high number of surfable bays and different orientations of the coast, you can always find a surfable spot. The fact is that waves can come from all different directions. In Portugal, from the north, from the west and from the south. With northern swells, you have bays like Bordeira, Monte Clerigo or Punta Riva, which definitely start to run even with small northern swells.
If the swell comes from the west with the same size, then the whole west coast runs perfectly and the waves can be head high depending on the tide. This counts from Aljezur - Sagres.
With the south swell, the spots from Sagres to Lagos should run about waist high at 2 - 4 feet. Most of the time, the wind comes from the north or west and makes for very clean conditions. The south always needs a little more swell for the waves to run. This means that with a north swell, the 3 spots mentioned above would be too big to surf, unless you want to get really washed out. On the other hand, some of the west spots might run. Often the wind blows from the west or north during storms, creating perfect offshore winds on the south coast.
A south swell would mean big waves on the south coast and surfable conditions on the west coast. So, as you can see, there's always a way to fill your holiday with surfing in the Algarve. On the other hand, this also means that it is important to watch the waves and the forecast and only then draw your conclusions about where to go in the water.
6. Price range
The price range for surf camps in the Algarve is between 105€ - 699€ per week. You can spend unforgettable days in the south of Portugal even on a small budget and you will see that every cent is worth it to be able to ride the waves there.
Air travel is definitely the most convenient and the fastest way to get to the sun-drenched Algarve. Faro airport is a three-hour flight from most European departure destinations. However, if you are thinking of travelling by car, an excellent network of new motorways allows you to travel easily through the attractive regions of southern Portugal. Most camps also offer airport transport, making it easy for you to arrive in comfort and without stress.
The 3 ha area of the Chillandsurf Camp is situated in the vegetational hills of the Costa Vincente Nature Park at the South-Western Algarve. Between eucalyptus and pine t...
Arrifana Surf School & camp, offers you a truly stunning Surf Experience in the southwest coast of Portugal. Our beaches are an excellent example of balance between human...
The Wavesensations was born, in the need to raise awareness and experience a new concept of Surf the - Surf Sensations - hence the name Wavesensations. Our concept it'...
The Good Feeling is a hostel and guesthouse in Sagres, in the Algarve region of Portugal. It’s a comfortable, friendly home away from home where you can meet new friends,...
Welcome to Sagres Natura in Sagres. We offer a fun and quality way to learn surf! What we believe to be the most funny sport in the world. It´s all about learning to surf...